ProWorks Blog

How to Add Google Analytics to Wordpress

By  |  Thursday, December 17, 2009  |  ,  |  7 comments

These directions assume you have a Google Analytics account set up and have access to the tracking script code provided by Google. An alternative solution is to use a Wordpress Plugin to install Google Analytics for you. Google Analytics for Wordpress stands out to me based on its ratings, over 700,000 downloads, version status (3.25) and recent update (December 6, 2009). I can't say I have used this plugin. But Ive had good experiences with the authors of this plugin, yoast.com.

1. Get your Google Analytics tracking script code If you already have an account finding code again can a bit tricky. Go to the account you wish to set up. Then click the edit link. Click the 'Check Status' link. The resulting page will contain the tracking code.

google-analytics-wordpress-2

2. Access your theme editor Access your Wordpress admin area. Expand the 'Appearance' options in the left sidebar. Select 'Editor.

google-analytics-wordpress-3

3. Insert the code into footer.php Access the footer.php template under the list of Theme Files on the right. Paste the Google Analytics tracking script code just before the </body> tag.

google-analytics-wordpress-44. Confirm the installation View the which contains your tracking code. If your tracking code is installed correctly it will report "Waiting for Data" or "Receiving Data". If you see "Tracking Unknown" or "Not Verified" something went wrong.

5. Get yourself a tall drink That's it. Congratulate yourself. Bask in the glow of Google Analytics. The fun is just beginning now.

I hope that helps you. Let us know if you have any questions or can use more explanation.

7 comments for “How to Add Google Analytics to Wordpress”

1. Posted 12/29/2009 at 2:47:41 AM

2. Posted 12/18/2009 at 2:34:08 PM

You are very welcome Charissa. I feel the same way about visuals. I'm always looking for instructions with more pictures and less reading.

3. Posted 12/18/2009 at 7:20:37 AM

I use Google Analyticator for WP - the thing I like about it is that it installs a widget on your admin page that gives you a snapshot of your stats.

4. Posted 12/18/2009 at 7:34:36 AM

<strong>Social comments and analytics for this post...</strong>

This post was mentioned on Twitter by loyan: @CharissaCowart Let me know if this helps. "How to Add Google Analytics to Wordpress" in just 5 steps + screen shots! http://bit.ly/5LYPBD...

5. Posted 12/18/2009 at 8:31:15 AM

Nice post. Looks as easy as I would expect.

Devin: thanks for the plug-in tip. I'll have to give that a try.

This appears to be the link to the <a href="http://ronaldheft.com/code/analyticator/" rel="nofollow">Google Analyticator</a> plugin

6. Posted 12/18/2009 at 12:14:06 PM

Loyan!

Thank you SO much for this post!! You have no idea how helpful this was for me! I am so thankful, and the screenshots were super! I always have to "see" what I'm doing (or in this case supposed to be doing) :P Rather than just reading it.

Thanks again!

@CharissaCowart

7. Posted 4/19/2011 at 8:58:34 PM

Hey thanks for this post. I recently changed my website theme and somehow my analytics stopped tracking my stats. Being a beginner, your post helped me to fix the issue. Thanks!